Jun 15, 2011

Food Rules

I really enjoyed reading Michael Pollan's new book Food Rules - an Eater's Manual.  I thought I'd include some of my favorite "rules" in today's post for your enjoyment. 

#36
Don't eat breakfast cereals that 
change the color of your milk.

#21
It's not food if it's called by the same name in 
every language. (Think Big Mac, Cheetos, Etc.)

#19
If it came from a plant, eat it;
if it was made in a plant, don't.

#57
Don't get your fuel from 
the same place your car does.

#18
Don't ingest food in places where 
everyone is required to wear a surgical cap.

#13
Eat only foods that 
 will eventually rot.


Gorgeous salad served at Bliss Raw Cafe & Elixir Bar in Dallas, TX

P.S.  Doesn't that raw concoction above look delicious?  That is from a raw food restaurant in Dallas.  Amazing that even in the beef loving, bar-b-que boasting heartland of America, you can find this kind of thing.  I can't wait to try it out!

6 comments:

Splenderosa said...

Sarah, this is such a good post, lots of wonderful comparisons. Love the plant one. And, that last pic...I'm heading to Big D !!

Anonymous said...

Lots of 'food for thought' in today's post. Interesting! Have you tried Seasons 52 at Shops at Legacy? This would be a GREAT date night destination. Maybe your hubby reads the comments? ;-)

Sarah Greenman said...

Season's 52? No - I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the tip... and yes, I think the hubs reads the comments. XO

Appletree said...

I have to read that! So much better than the rules I made in college #6 was "beer is food" so if you only have money for one, buy beer. This seems much more reasonable

my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you said...

i want to eat that so hard right now.

Stephanie said...

Sarah, when you come back to Dallas I'd love to join you on your morning walks. My excuse for not exercising...I can wait until Sarah gets back and maybe have a partner to motivate me. For me I suppose this is a first step. Maybe, just maybe I'll get off my rump before that. You should know that your blog has inspired me and I haven't eaten fast food since I started reading your blog. As a full-time, traveling mother of a 6 mo old my daily food habits have included some form of McDonald's. Who am I kidding - McNuggets have been my friend much longer than the last 6 mo! Thanks for the inspiration!