Jul 31, 2011

Weigh In - Week 9

Neutral.  That single word best describes my weight loss journey this week.  I did not gorge on goodies as I did in the past week, nor did I hit the streets in an effort to renew my walking regimen.  This week, I ate sensibly and took time to breathe.  I did not lose any weight, but I also didn't gain any.  I'm maintaining.

For the past few days, I've been accompanying my almost one-year old baby Charlie to a dizzying array of pre-op appointments in preparation for his craniofacial surgery tomorrow. As many of you know, Charlie is a stroke survivor and also has a bone condition called Craniosynostosis.  This is when two or more skull bones fuse prematurely in the womb essentially trapping the brain and restricting growth.  Tomorrow morning, my husband and I will take Charlie to Medical City here in Dallas for a procedure called a cranio vault.  They are going to open the fuse, dismantle the skull in sections and then put it all back together like a big jigsaw puzzle.

Since I won't be able to hold Charlie for a few days, I've been packing him around with me every place I go.  He has been either in my arms, in my lap or in my bed sleeping in my arms.  So, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I've gained 23 pounds of Charlie weight this week.  I'm nervous and a little bit terrified at the thought of handing my child over to the hands of surgeons tomorrow, but I'm confident that this will all be well in the end.  I just keep repeating - all will be well, all will be well, all will be well.

Pounds lost this week:  0
Total pounds lost: 14

Me and Charlie after an appointment with his neurosurgeon.

To learn more about Charlie click HERE.

2 comments:

Appletree said...

Sarah sending you strength.

MaryJo said...

Hi Sarah,
I just wanted you to know I'm keeping focused on positive thoughts for Charlie today! Thinking of you,
Mary Jo