Aug 29, 2013

Drink Your Greens - Juice Fast Day 3

I'm on day three of a juice fast. I've had lots of questions about my plan and what program I'm following. The short answer is I have a plan, but there is no program. When I juice fast I allow my body and brain dictate the amount of juice I need. I drink as much of it as I need to stay energized and satiated.

What do I drink?  I drink green juice all day long and allow myself a special treat juice in the afternoon, which is usually something a little sweet and zingy. I try to make sure that I have at least 75 percent of my juice comprised of vegetables and greens. I start my morning with a hot water concoction and end my day with herbal tea of some sort. And if I'm feeling really low energy or if I'm battling something like my period or a cold or I know I'm going to be doing a long run, I'll have a mug of Miso broth. But I usually just stick to juice and tea.

Another thing I wanted to note - I change up the contents of my green juice from day to day. I always included a head of romaine, a lemon, a little ginger and a couple apples. Then I throw in any number of the following: cucumber, celery, spinach, kale, green cabbage, zucchini, wheatgrass, and parsley.


The breakdown:

Morning:
hot water with lemon and ginger

All day:

Afternoon:

All day:
green juice

Evening:
herbal or green tea


Now that I'm over the hump of day two, which is notoriously icky, I'm feeling fresh and more alert. Yesterday, I just wanted to lie down and take a nap.  I'm three pounds down, which is encouraging. I'm thinking of extending my 7-day fast to 10 days!  We'll see how I feel a few days from now.




Drink Your Greens!

No comments: